The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Buffalo Soldiers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I would have certainly loved to see Jake grovel like that!
DQ4ME

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me to Lynn, it would have made my day and made the show!!!!! Very Happy

Carol
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the laws are today...doctors certainly aren't punished for treason for providing medical attention to criminals...but I don't know if they're required to turn them in to authorities or not. If not, I'd be interested to know when the laws changed and what led them to change them. Technically she didn't help the Indian to escape...that was Sully, so I'm not sure they could have actually charged her with treason, or if they all took into account the fact that she's a medical professional and couldn't turn away an injured person. Is that possibly why Jake and the others took her actions so much more lightly than we might have thought they would?
Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that treating the Indians was the reason she was charged with treason, but that she warned the "enimy" that they were to be attacked allowing them to kill sodiers while fighting off this attack. I believe if not for the charges being dropped she could be found guilty and hanged in that time frame. Could you picture it if Custer was in charge and she helled the Indians?
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...I think I'm talking about 2 different episodes...I was referring to the newer one where she was arrested for treason...I thought the discussion was comparing the time in Buffalo Soldiers to the time in...shoot - can't remember the name of the newer one...might be in this thread somewhere...the question was why wasn't Jake more concerned about what could potentially happen to her since the penalty for treason at the time was hanging...seemed like he was more concerned about running for mayor and making an example out of her. I was just saying maybe he wasn't so concerned because of the circumstances...with her being a doctor...she didn't technically help the indian escape, though she did treat him and didn't report him to the army - she did help hide him in her barn for a time - but I'm not sure he thought she'd actually be tried for treason - it might be hard to prove since she didn't actually help the indian escape, and she's a doctor, so she wouldn't refuse a person medical treatment.
Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are talking about Right and Wrong. I agree there I think she would have been found inocent there since they could argued she was a doctor and just treated an Indian. Of course she didn't turn him in after she treated him which I assume they thought she should but thinhk she could have one that or at leas receive a prison sentence rather than hanging. In Buffalo Soldiers I believe she could have been executed. I love Hank's comment when Marjorie says she was arrested for trying to vote and Coleen said Ma was never arrested for trying to vote. Hank says not for that anyway. I think that was one of the funniest comments in the show. Michaela had been arrested for more serious things than trying to vote her Boston family just never knew
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that too...especially the look on Dr. Mike's face when she conceded that fact...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: