The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Through new eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> It changed my life
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dqmwartist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Through new eyes Reply with quote

Those of you on my Twitter and Facebook no doubt saw that I've been reading Jane's book Remarkable Changes for a second time. You may also know that I am at a point in my life where I am trying to figure out who I really am, what I will be best at and finding that illusive full time job. It wasn't easy for me when I suffered a bad subbing report and even after attending another orientation and subbing again, felt that it just wasn't for me. I want very much to be successful in life, as a lot of young people are around me, and with turning 30 in September I feel that I want to accomplish something by that time.

In a matter of days after picking up the book to read it again, I felt my eyes opening in ways I hadn't expected. Sure we all want answers and what not, but what I got from reading Remarkable Changes a second time was much more than that. I finally see how those things at Mount Vernon that I had so wanted to do more of when I worked there, but wasn't given the opportunity was a blessing. Because I wasn't given that opportunity, which may have lead me to stay longer, I was able to break free and begin my journey as substitute teacher. (There was some other teaching encouragement from others)
Beginning that journey was certainly very exciting and at the time I felt hey this is my ticket out of what I had been doing. Granted by the end of being an interpreter I was ready to leave. Subbing became this refreshing new thing and I embraced it as best I could. There were challenges along the way, kids with hugs or pictures to give and nice people to meet. When I had my off day with the bad report, it completely shook me and I didn't want to go back again and sub for some time. But an episode of Dr. Quinn made me realize that I was scared to go back and I needed to face that fear. So I went back, subbed and was warmly received, and had a fairly good day. Even after going back, I still didn't feel the classroom was for me, and in a way now I feel that off day was a blessing. A blessing that is leading me on another journey. (I do work at Kumon Center now, but I had the job while I subbed through last year and into this year)

I'm not sure where that journey is leading me, but having read that book I feel light years better. It's as if I finally forgave those awful moments I had in previous jobs, learned to see them as a blessing, and with that moving me towards something better. I've been inspired to write a poem lately, to look for jobs in the New England States, think more about maybe moving to Florida to live with friends, taking up a volunteer job, and really examining how I can effectively job search, along with finding out who I really am. Friends have helped with that last part as they've told me things about myself that I just didn't know were even there. Amazing stuff, but true.

Making the decision to read the book again is one I am very glad that I did. It's changed my way of thinking and opened me up to new possibilities out there for me. So my road from feeing stuck has ended up with me feeling inspired and enlightened. Quite a feet, but with some words told to me by a pastor that were spoken by other pastor we both knew, I totally believe it. In short periods like I am going through now, as my one pastor put it, that they are periods of the most growth and change. Totally believe that now having been changed by a book. Now I look forward to seeing what life has to offer me now in the coming days ahead.
cherubin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so great, Sarah. I wish you a lot of luck. You are on the right way. Wink

HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy to hear that, Sarah! That's wonderful news. *Hugs*

(made by Kaitlyn, a friend on a DWTS board)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=371907511
juliefan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Sara Wink

Thinking about you and keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
SKYPE NAME: janeseymourfan66
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara that's wonderful! You're on an exciting journey- I hope you will take us all with you Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CÚcile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats !!!
Very good Sarah, you have let the past behind, taken the good and let the bad.
Now it's time to imagine you in the future, to point out your dreams, your talents, your fears.

You wrote wonderfully, you love kids, but perhaps teaching is not the way for you. It's time to mix and find a way

I believe in you, and I'm here if you need.
As Mary Ann said : It's exciting and take us with you

Hugs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy to hear that, Sarah!!! I'm happy for you and I think you're on the right track!!! Keep following that way and you'll feel better and better. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Marga. I sure hope so!

I'm much happier too, Joanna. *HUG*

Thanks Julie, I appreciate it. Smile

Mary Ann, I'll do my best and I hope you all enjoy the ride.

Thanks so much, Cecile. Any advice you have or something to share with me, go for it. I'm more than happy to listen.

Thanks so much, Romy.

Coming out and telling all of that was really really nice, and I even shared it with my Youth Pastor (bits of it). Feels good to be feeling better again and I'm trying to get a handle on things. With the job I am thinking hard of something I can do and be good at, and calling a temp agency in the meantime to see if they can help me out some. Outside of that I really want to get my drivers license...and need some serious motivation there and a plan to drive with the parents.
Gemma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Sarah, a person so talented obviously has a bright future to discover. Truly. It's crystal clear just reading your writing. And living in the land of opportunity, anything is possible for you. Nevertheless, I think you could be a marvellous teacher for adult people. I think you have that depth that sometimes youngsters can't understand. A wonderful art or creative writing teacher for grown ups. Razz

Clickable banner
janine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah, I am sure that you will reach the aim of your way, and I wish you all luck of this earth, I am glad thus for you!

Dr.Quinn World German Fanforum
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dqmwartist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemma, that's amazing that you can tell from my writing how crystal clear my future is. Can't say I see that right now, maybe in time I will.

Thank you, Janine.

Another sort of change in my life, more eye opening than anything. I just finished reading Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School At a Time. Incredible story and very eye opening for me to see into a world that I'd thought as being full of terror. Yet beyond that are innocent people whose conditions aren't the best and schools don't exist. I'd known that one person can make a difference, and reading how Greg Mortenson literally changed the world was just incredible. He'd had a moment of failure in trying to climb a mountain, ends up in an impoverished village in Pakistan promising a man he will come back and build a school for girls. Reading this opening my eyes up to the power education can have and even touching the lives of people who are less fortunate, yet have equally strong spirits. It really made me want to touch others in some of the ways he touched the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> It changed my life All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: