The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

question about hard drives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: question about hard drives Reply with quote

I hace a gift card from Dell for $75 and I want to use it toward a pocket external hard drive- you know the ones that are the size of a deck of cards?
I have a mac and I'm wondering if anyone out there is familiar with these and would have any suggestions as to the best type to get?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you are the 3rd person to say about getting an external hard drive this week. I just got one and I LOVE it!! The model that I got is from Segate. I asked my teachers at school what they thought was best and neither of them had a preference. The one I got is 1.5 Tb (which is around 1,500 GBs) and it also came with Muvee maker. Now you might not want that big of one.

I hope that helped.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a mac Deb? If so it very much helped! I'd love a 1T. The frustrating thing is I bought a Lacie External 500 GB hard drive when I bought my computer and after a while it just stopped mounting. It's too old to take back- this is the third time this has happened with an external drive but these were large- I thought I'd try something different this time and I love the size of the pocket ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't have a mac. that's on my list of wants right along with a painting of Jane's. lol Sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble before. Hope it gets better for you. Btw I will ask another teacher at school tomorrow what he suggests. He uses Macs in his recording studio.
Nadya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mary Ann

I emailed a friend of mine last night about your question - he is my mac guru so hopefully he answers me soon - I'll let you know the minute he does...
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Nadya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took a bit to hear from him...

Funny thing is, he said both Lacie and Seagate were two that he recommends regularly to his clients - they both tend to work well...he also mentioned Western Digital as a third. I told him that the Lacie you bought eventually stopped mounting and he said that it could have been a bad drive or he said to go to your "Disk Utility" in your Applications/Utility folder and see if it still shows there - it may just not be showing up on your desktop but still registering within the system itself. He also said to try another USB port because "those things fail all the time".

Then, I called our local Apple store just to double check on what he told me, and they pretty much said the same thing - they typically sell Lacie the most. They also said to make sure that you reformat it through Disk Utility because most of the drives are out of the box ready for PCs even though Macs usually can recognize them on their own. Once in awhile they can't though so it's best to go through the Disk Utility. I have a Mac but haven't played around with external drives much, so I can't really confirm anything either said - but they did seem to agree with each other across the board.

I don't know if any of this info is going to help, but the consensus is that the Lacie is #1 and Seagate or Western Digital comes next...if you want me to ask him anything else, just let me know!!

Have fun this weekend!!
Nadya
Deb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadya I'm glad that you found out more info then me all my sources said that it didn't much matter. Sorry I wasn't much help most everyone around here uses PCs.
Nadya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb -

It looks like this is where the Mac and PC world sort of mesh same brands, etc.- so your info was right on regardless!! Smile

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Meet new Friends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: