The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Ladies Night

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Ladies Night Reply with quote

A few things I would have included in the script for this classic D.Q. episode/s would have been:

1. Matthew comes to Colleen's defense after Jared tries to feel Colleen up on the table where they're studying at/ He tracks down Jared, say, at school...and they get into a huge fist fight on school grounds. One of them (probably Jared) winds up getting hurt pretty badly; off to the clinic with the one badly hurt. Matthew is placed in jail for assault.

2. Colleen feels really bad about the whole ordeal, thinking that she was wrong in telling Matthew about what Jared tried to do. While Jared is recovering in the clinic, Colleen is overcome with emotion and kisses Jared. She then, even though he is still quite out of it, proceeds to place his hand on her chest. Of course, Dr. Quinn walks right into the room at this moment and is utterly shocked at what she is witnessing.

3. Matthew, while spending the night in prison, makes an "advance" on another prisoner in the cell that they are sharing. He is beginning to realize that he is infact...gay....or as the Cheyenne would call it... a "manwoman".

-I realize these are rather racy or controversial themes for a family-oriented series....but they actually would not be if Dr. Quinn was still airing in today's society. Do you agree with that or not?
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James I would agree with the Colleen storyline and Matthew defending her, even going to jail. I"m fairly sure though they would not have let the character of Matthew be gay, even though the actor is. There was talk enough when DQ did the Walt Whitman episode. CBS would have been too afraid to go there and I don't think the audience would have accepted it. Mind you now if the show were airing as a new program, if they had had the character gay from the beginning, it might be different. I think though it would have changed the entire family dynamic especially between Matthew and Sully. I just don't think this particular series would have lent itself to that scenario too well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
james

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Ann wrote:
James I would agree with the Colleen storyline and Matthew defending her, even going to jail. I"m fairly sure though they would not have let the character of Matthew be gay, even though the actor is. There was talk enough when DQ did the Walt Whitman episode. CBS would have been too afraid to go there and I don't think the audience would have accepted it. Mind you now if the show were airing as a new program, if they had had the character gay from the beginning, it might be different. I think though it would have changed the entire family dynamic especially between Matthew and Sully. I just don't think this particular series would have lent itself to that scenario too well.

I agree that my Matthew/jail scenario would not have worked very well back when Dr. Quinn was still airing. However, think of all of the material that the writers could have expanded upon from such a scenario as Matthew making an advance on another male prisoner while spending the night in jail. For example, someone eventually finds out about Matthew being gay and the whole town is in an uproar. Perhaps, Dr. Mike walks in on Matthew and another cowboy making out in the homestead. Mike and Sully wouldn't know how to handle the situation and would seek advice from Cloud Dancing or the pastor. Colleen and Brian are constantly teased at school for having a brother who is gay. Jake and Hank would probably want (and try) to hang Matthew, but, as usual, Sully would save the day. These are just a few examples, of course.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In those days Matthew would have been forced out of town Sully or no Sully. The character would not have been allowed to live a normal life. I think the way they touched on the subject was actually very well done and very sensitive. Also, to be real, Chad was under a lot of stress back then in real life because of the media "outing him" He would NOT have wanted to do it anyway. Credit goes to Jane and Beth for making sure though that the show stood behind him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Marion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the theme of being gay was well handled in The Body Electric. We could see everyone's reaction to this topic there. Making one of the main characters gay would have changed the course of the show.
But there is no reason to drop the question what would have happened if... You could just write a fanfiction story and explore this thought, James Wink .
james

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marion wrote:
I think the theme of being gay was well handled in The Body Electric. We could see everyone's reaction to this topic there. Making one of the main characters gay would have changed the course of the show.
But there is no reason to drop the question what would have happened if... You could just write a fanfiction story and explore this thought, James Wink .

Alright, I just might do that Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: