The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

I got to meet Joe Lando!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WendyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: I got to meet Joe Lando! Reply with quote

I thought I'd post my experience of meeting Joe at The Hollywood Show a few months ago!

So on July 13, with just a few days' notice, I had convinced my husband to go with me down to LA, a 5-hour drive from the Central Valley ordinarily, to see Joe in person there. We started out at 9:00 a.m. thinking it would be enough time, but the traffic was so hideous going through LA, we didn't get to the hotel until 3:30, and the event was only going till 5:00, and who knew if he were even there? But we checked in, I left my husband to go park, and I raced up to the room to change into something less informal than my jeans and tee shirt, and went down to the show in the same hotel. It being that kind of day, naturally, they wouldn't take my credit card because somehow the computers were down, so I had to quickly find an ATM back in the lobby so I could get $20 to get in. Then as I was checking in I asked if Joe Lando was there, and the girl says, "Who?" I'm like, "Joe Lando!" And she said, "I don't think so. I haven't heard of him." So I got a hold of the list and pointed out his name, and she said, "Oh, I guess he is here." Sheesh!

Then it took me a while wandering around to find him. By the time I did, I was all hot and sweaty and dry-mouthed, feeing like a teenager (I'm 67) but thrilled nevertheless. I was grinning ear to ear and said, "Hi, Joe, I'm a big fan!" to which he responded with a huge gorgeous smile of his own and sort of a giggle along with some words I didn't catch (very noisy room). I didn't presume to get a hug, but he did shake my hand (yes, I've washed it since then. Wink)

Anyway, we ended up talking for around ten minutes or so. I had a couple of questions about the show I'd prepared to ask, but the main reason I wanted to see him was go give him a copy of my CD of the "Dr. Quinn Suite," which I devised using 30 tracks of the background music I'd procured a few years ago. As a former orchestral musician, I wasn't satisfied with 30 short and disjointed pieces in no particular order, so I worked with a computer program I had and blended them together in a coherent order working them into a 5-movement suite that essentially tells the story in music. It really was quite miraculous how they all fit together like pieces of a puzzle. (I tried this with the music from Pride & Prejudice and got nowhere.) Thank you, William Olvis! Very Happy At any rate, Joe was quite interested and grateful for it, saying he loved the music from the show, and he gave me a picture he let me choose of himself as Sully, which he autographed, in exchange for it when I would have happily paid for it. I really did make it just in time as after he was through talking with me, he packed up to leave. I was pretty stunned that I had somehow managed to make it after all. And he was so nice!

I can't believe I finally got to meet someone who so touched me with his performance though I probably should thank Beth Sullivan since she created the character. But he made him come alive and really gave the show a dynamic that it's hard for me to imagine another actor carrying off like Joe Lando did.

BTW, I had to make reservations for the hotel using an IM because their website wasn't working right, and when we finished, the woman said, "Have a nice trip!" and I said, "Oh, I will! I get to meet Joe Lando." And she said, "Lucky you!" and I said, "Dr. Quinn fan, eh?" And she said, "Who didn't love Joe Lando?" Then she disconnected right away. I guess we were off the topic. Mr. Green

Warmly, Wendy
dqmwartist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading your story all over again. Thanks for sharing it with us. Smile
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy, thanks so much for sharing that! What a wonderful experience for you! I went to the Hollywood show a few years back as we were there at the time and it was something to do, but unfortunately none of our cast was there though we did see Barbara Eden and Ryan O' Neil who came with his own entourage LOL. Love him in Bones but don't care for him personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WendyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: The Hollywood Show Reply with quote

Hi Mary Ann,

Interesting you went to that. I'd never even heard of it until a few days before the event since I hadn't been paying any attention to DQ message boards in years. But in the spring I got the urge to start watching the series again on my DVDs. I remembered to check out the message boards a few months later and happened to see the announcement about this event. At first, I thought it would be fun, but it's such a long drive and everything I just dismissed it, but then I realized I may never get another chance to meet Joe, and I really wanted to. The rest is history. I heard that Pat Boone was there, whom I had a big crush on when I was a teenager (no more), and June Lockhart (she must be ancient!), but you couldn't have proved it by me. I had one goal, to meet Joe and give him my Suite, and I really just didn't care about anything else. I still can't believe how we drove that far and just barely made it. Shocked It was my lucky day, and I was a happy camper! Still am when I think about it. Love ya, Joe!

Warmly, Wendy
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been fate!

I heard Jane had been asked to appear at that but had a schedule conflict. Given what she gets for speaking engagements though I doubt they could afford her unless she chose to do it as a favor. The other thing is Jane when she attends events never charges for photos with her or autographs so I think that would make her a bit uncomfortable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WendyS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mary Ann, that would have been something if both Jane and Joe were there, wouldn't it? But I did get a chance to meet her in 2006, so I don't feel bad. Plus, with both of them there I probably would not have had as much time to talk to Joe. There would have been crowds most likely.

Warmly, Wendy
Michaela&Sully

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing amazing story glad you got to meet him XO

If Your Heart Is Open, Love Will Always Find Its Way In-Jane Seymour
WendyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, my friend, me too. Smile BTW, did I mention he was both taller and better looking than I expected? ::sigh::

Warmly, Wendy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Have you met? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: