The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

coach and the stage and horse and buggies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: coach and the stage and horse and buggies Reply with quote

I have been thinking on and off over the years about how it would have been in the 1800s either rich or middle class or poor how it would feel to take the stage to somewhere or if you where rich owning a coach i am not sure if that is what you would call the fancy horse and buggy if that makes since . You would be taking time in the rich coaches !!!!!! I have seen copies of what they look like with real leather seats and such but i think would make rough rides at times depending on the roads and how long you where traveling though towns .

Horses i think is what made the riding rough , and the buggies or coach or biggie go rough though all and all makes me thankful for the cars that we have now .
Even though that i love cars and and suburban and other types of modern transpiration . i guess we would never know the difference if we lived back then LOL what are your thoughts about the transpiration of the 1800s
Ana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it was rough! Before modern train cabins, they had coaches on rails, with a covered sitting area above. They later had to get rid of these because of all the soot from the steam getting all over the people above. I bet that was an insane, rough journey too!
When my grandmother was a child, they had to take a horse and wagon to town, like on Dr. Quinn. I think she's said that she preferred walking haha... wasn't a big fan of the rough and rumbling ride in a wagon.
Michelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ana wrote:
I bet it was rough! Before modern train cabins, they had coaches on rails, with a covered sitting area above. They later had to get rid of these because of all the soot from the steam getting all over the people above. I bet that was an insane, rough journey too!
When my grandmother was a child, they had to take a horse and wagon to town, like on Dr. Quinn. I think she's said that she preferred walking haha... wasn't a big fan of the rough and rumbling ride in a wagon.

I did not know about the uncovered cars on trains before covered cars on trains that is amazing and strange i can not believe that they did not think about the soot getting all over people .
HAHA i bet your grandmother wanted to walk instead of riding in the wagon on of my dearest friends from my church lived to be 104 and she talked about coming to Texas in a covered wagon and wanting her dad to stop every once in a while so she could walk along side the wagon .
I love to look at old VIP cars on old trains it is amazing what they looked like back then , very conferrable and beautiful .
There is a train right now at the Grand Canyon that there VIP cars copy the old VIP cars from the !800s got to ride in it once it was great .

Very Happy
Ana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture I took of the one I was talking about. I'd never heard of it either until I visited the B&O Railroad museum a few years ago.

I saw some amazing VIP cars at the NC State Transportation Museum back in August... it was so awesome. I doubt even the fanciest airplanes today have such luxury!

The progress we've made in the last 150 years is amazing. I'm told my great grandfather always said he'd lived a long great life... In the late 1870s, he came to America from France on a ship, then they rode from Maryland down to SC on a covered wagon. He watched the car and airplane get invented, and even saw man land on the moon before he passed away. The evolution of travel he got to see in his lifetime simply blew his mind!
Marion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of coaches on rails Shocked . Thank you so much for the information and the picture, Ana. How interesting! I googled them but couldn't find information Sad . Do you know where and when they were used? Have they just been attached to a "normal" train?
Ana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kruemi, all I remember being told is that they were the predecessor to the modern train shape we all are accustomed with seeing now. I took the pictures at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Maryland in 2011. Go look in my albums on Facebook. There is a B&O album I've had on private for a while, I set it so you could see the pictures I took at the museum. Very Happy
Marion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing your photographs, Ana Very Happy . This museum looks like a very interesting place. Unfortunately it is a bit far for me to get there Sad Very Happy .
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ashamed to say I live just outside of Baltimore City and have never been to that museum. But looking at your picture I'm gonna have to check it out soon.
Ana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get to the states, Kruemi... it's just about an hour or so north of Washington, DC. Smile

It's totally worth it Judy! As I recall, it's pretty cheap! I braved rush hour traffic from Manassas to Baltimore to see it, and even though I had about 28491725923502 panic attacks driving through DC, totally worth my time! Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> In Those Days All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: