The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Other passions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dqmwartist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big passion in life is art (points to siggy with website link). I love it to pieces and I've found over the years that I've got more talent that I know what to do with.
I also collect My Little Pony's and postcards.
jen jen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love listening to music and drawing. A good day for me begins with listening to some good music. (Sofia, you already know that I like Barbra Streisand a lot too). Very Happy I am also a big cinema fan. I adore many actresses and actors, but my ultimate favourite has been Meryl Streep for some years now. Smile
zonagirl157

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading is a huge passion. I love to read. As far as other passions- advocating for childrens rights. I reside in one of the worst states pertaining to this issue. Also, I love music (Newsboys, 3rd Day, Casting Crowns) and playing it - the piano (a promise I made to myself to start playing again).
Mushcs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to music is one....

But also finding new challenges.... in anything
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sofia, I totally agree that TV was better when we were younger. I remember most nights would have a good show on. Now it seems like good shows are few and far between. As I said in another thread, I just don't care for the type of shows that Hollywood/most of the public seem to like. That's why most of the time when I watch TV it is either reruns of old shows or DVDs.

I also have a passion for reading.

I used to collect My Little Ponies. I still have my collection. Smile

Now I mainly collect Breyer model horses.

Joanna
Elaine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest, and oldest, passion is music. Since childhood, I've been involved in music in many ways. I love listening to classical music, playing the piano, teaching piano, and trying to spread my love of good music to my granddaughters!
I also collect several things......although this tiny apartment has put a real crimp in that habit. LOL
My most extensive collection is Precious Moments....figuines, books, textiles, stuffed animals, etc. I'm a Charter Member of the Collectors' Club.
I also have little spoons from around the world.
Another item I love is teapots. I don't have much room for displaying them right now, but since I won one of Jane's designs on eBay (How could I pass that up?), I have a few on top of a bookcase in the living room.
humdrum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna, I don't watch TV at all, either. I mainly watch a channel that airs tv shows I sometimes like following or the movie channels we have and those are on paid tv. They aren't available for everyone else. I wonder what people who don't get those channels watch daily. Our tv is so bad, so so bad, that I can't stand watching. I always thought yours would be somewhat better for the shows/films you get there but you're right, there's only a handful of good things Hollywood puts out there these days.

Elaine, I used to collect all kinds of Precious Moments stuff. I had to give it up because they actually stopped selling items around here, no idea as to why. I should have a box in my attic filled with things. If I ever get the courage to go clean the place and find it, I'll ship them to you.
I collect dolls from all over the world. Whenever I take a trip, I look for a porcelain doll with the area's costume and people often bring me back one whenever they go somewhere. It's getting huge, though, and I'm running out of places to put them in.
Elaine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humdrum wrote:
Elaine, I used to collect all kinds of Precious Moments stuff. I had to give it up because they actually stopped selling items around here, no idea as to why. I should have a box in my attic filled with things. If I ever get the courage to go clean the place and find it, I'll ship them to you.

Sofia, that would be awesome! How special would those items be to my collection? I can't even imagine!

humdrum wrote:
I collect dolls from all over the world. Whenever I take a trip, I look for a porcelain doll with the area's costume and people often bring me back one whenever they go somewhere. It's getting huge, though, and I'm running out of places to put them in.

That's how I get my spoons. My husband started it by sending me some when he was overseas in the navy, back in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I've tried to get one everywhere we go, and now my son has added some, when he's overseas with the navy. Several friends have also gotten some for me. My two spoon racks are almost full, so I'll be needing another one before long. At least they're small, so not as hard to display as larger things.
Mushcs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine wrote:
Another item I love is teapots. I don't have much room for displaying them right now, but since I won one of Jane's designs on eBay (How could I pass that up?), I have a few on top of a bookcase in the living room.

That reminds me. I took a photo of a cute teopots for you.. but I have to go find that photo. Where did I put it???
annette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nuts about Julie Andrews as a kid and teenager and watched her movies over and over especially the Sound of Music which is so good still.
I also got a bit obsessed with Cybill Shepherd after watching Moonlighting and then had to watch everything she ever made. Actually got to see her caberet show in Sydney. She's not half the actress that Jane is but I was fascinated with her private life which was pretty colourful - tried to make sense of the contradictions. Jane's values and causes are far closer to my passions. I do get hooked on TV series and then become the most loyal fan ever and have to watch every episode to the bitter end. Some have been ER, Judging Amy, The Practice, X Files, Roswell ( I like some sci-fi), and currently Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives 24, Prisonbreak and Dexter. As you can see I have very ecclectic tastes. Same applies to reading as I like serious meaningful stuff as well as some lighter fiction. For those of you who like science fiction you must read the Dune series by Frank Herbert which is more like philosophy than fiction! TV is real down time for me and when I have been really busy theres nothing better than cuddling up with my dog Scruffy in front of a favourite program. Sometimes drives my husband nuts cos he watches TV for education and information primarily but we kind of work it out!
humdrum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine wrote:

That's how I get my spoons. My husband started it by sending me some when he was overseas in the navy, back in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I've tried to get one everywhere we go, and now my son has added some, when he's overseas with the navy. Several friends have also gotten some for me. My two spoon racks are almost full, so I'll be needing another one before long. At least they're small, so not as hard to display as larger things.

Are they teaspoons, Elaine? I think working at Disneyland this year, they sold some Disney spoons as well, they looked silver and were small like teaspoons with a worked handle. Are those the kind of spoons you collect at all?

Annette, I've notice everyone here is a Julie Andrews fan as well, or at least has been fascinated with her work once or twice in their lives. I wonder if there's someone out there who can say they haven't, Julie is quite unique in her own way, isn't she.
I remember Moonlighting! I recall watching it as a child along with that Linda Hamilton show, Beauty and The Beast. I loved the values expressed in this show! I try to watch some tv shows, too, like Grey's and Desperate Housewives but I confess after too many a seasons they start tiring me so I usually switch to a new one.
Your husband reminds me of my dad, he too watches tv for those reasons primarly...and well, sports. He doesn't understand how my mom and I can spend so much time watching movies and tv shows.
Elaine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humdrum wrote:
Are they teaspoons, Elaine? I think working at Disneyland this year, they sold some Disney spoons as well, they looked silver and were small like teaspoons with a worked handle. Are those the kind of spoons you collect at all?

Yes, those are the ones I collect. I have a couple from Walt Disney World, since we've been there a few times, but I haven't been to Disneyland in California since I was 9 years old, and I wasn't collecting anything back then. LOL! I've never been to any of the other Disneylands. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find them some places though.

Last edited by Elaine on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
genevieve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margarete, you write you know all Cherubin's song in Italian..... Do you speak Italian?
Geneviève
Maritza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. My passion have always changed through the years. Sometime it's still there but less intense and at other times I start up again like with reading. From time to time I get pretty obsessed with reading a great deal. I sometimes do that with writing. So basically, it's always been reading and writing, painting and plants that has always been with me through the years. The other passion are my kids and volunteering at a woman's community center. Oh, I've always love musicals, and classic Hollywood films. That's always been consistent. I also love family films. I have a large collection. But one of my most ultimate passion is Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. It's the only show I truly love dearly and now I follow Jane's career. I've never been obsessed with a show like this before.

cherubin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Other passions Reply with quote

quote="genevieve"]Margarete, you write you know all Cherubin's song in Italian..... Do you speak Italian?
Geneviève

Oh, I saw your question just now, sorry, Geneviève. "Un poco"
I had learned it only in a small course for a journey to Italy and singing for myself a long time ago in my early twenties, but I can still pronunciation and reading Italian. I can only the aria 'voi che sapete', not all Cherubine-Arias of "Marriage of Figaro". Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Meet new Friends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: