The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Other passions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annette, I too loved Julie Andrews growing up and still enjoy her movies although I cared less for some of the ones she made when she was trying to change her image. Her new autobiography is coming out in a few months and I plan to get that, The only thing that disappoints me is that it only goes through the early part of her life before she made Camelot, Mary Poppins,
Sound of Music etc. - I wish Jane would do an autobiography, she claims to be considering it, maybe we should encourage her! I'd much rather read it now then when I'm 70 something!

Joanna, yes I agree about tv, it used to be a family activity, in fact I knew what day it was based on what was on that night. It was nice looking forward to family type shows that you knew would be uplifting even if you'd had a bad day yourself. Now, it seems people want just more of what they see and experience and read in the newspapers, i.e. violence and sex and cheap jokes that don't require you to think- oh and reality shows that for the most part make me feel like I"m watching someone's home movies. Very little interests me on tv either, I do watch Heroes, Ugly Betty, Kyle XW and Lincoln Heights but I find for the most part I've been watching Hallmark movies lately. I used to find the movies on that network too 'slow' but now they are wonderful romances and human spirit type stories and I really wish Jane would do one. Hallmark doesn't seem afraid to give an actress over 40 or 50 a lead role- it would be perfect for Jane. She could pretty much play anywhere between the two.

I did happen to catch TBAA the other day and found I liked it though. I hadn't watched it in ages and to be perfectly honest I used to be a tiny bit resentful of the show. I loved it when it first came on but when it started getting more acclaim then DQ which preceded it and started beating us in the ratings I actually got mad at it! LOL!~ Silly I know but now I can view it without that predjudice and I actually added it to my series DVR recordings, since at least I know it will always be uplifting and something I can turn on when the mood strikes. I think I prefer Monica more when she is being an 'angel' though then when she just seems like a social worker. I used to also resent the fact that as an angel Monica got to dress sexier then poor Jane stuck in her prairie skirts!

Ok my secret is out Smile

As for passions, well I love to learn new things and am working on learning how to use my website programs better such as photoshop, css and flash. I downloaded a self management CD seminar series recently and put it on my IPOD and I've been spending a lot of time lately with that, it's really helped me sort of gain control over my time etc. lately. I do enjoy reading but it comes in spurts, I like Daniel Steel, Debbie MacComber (at least her angel stories), CHicken Soup, I also enjoy time travel stories like Outlander or just any feel good romance.

Dr. Quinn was a passion for ages, and though that's dimmed a little with the demise of the show there will never be a tv program that will ever engage me that way again, of that I'm sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Ann, you will LOVE Photoshop once you get the hang of it. Very Happy

As for CSS. I've been using bits and pieces of it for years, but now with my 1-Euro-job I have the opportunity to learn even more about it. Although the payment is close to zero, it's a job I've dreamed about for years: web design. I know it's only temporary, but I hope to get it prolonged as long as the project my "co-worker" and me are working on isn't finished. It's actually very much like being back to school because most of the others in my "class" haven't had a clue about html etc. before this, and even for me there are things that can be improved or at least refreshed.

I wish I could do something like this permanently and get "really" paid. Laughing
Oh man, and I already miss having DSL there when I come home every afternoon. Laughing

My YouTube | My Facebook
Elaine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaela1 wrote:
.... I used to also resent the fact that as an angel Monica got to dress sexier then poor Jane stuck in her prairie skirts!

Mary Ann, I was in JCPenney the other day, and the lastest "rage" in ladies fashion? a big display of "prairie clothes"! skirts, blouses, vests....I was immediately envisioning Dr. Quinn. LOL

michaela1 wrote:
Dr. Quinn was a passion for ages, and though that's dimmed a little with the demise of the show there will never be a tv program that will ever engage me that way again, of that I'm sure.

I never had any "passion" for a TV show until this one with DQ. And with the TV of the last few years, there's been nothing to replace it.....and nothing on the horizon either, sadly. I still watch at least "some DQ" just about every day!
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Ann, I also used to know what day of the week it was by what show was on that night. LOL

I can understand your reason for being resentful of TBAA. I was resentful of any of the the shows that were put in DQ's time slot, such as The Magnifcent Seven, and that other show whose name escapes me at the moment (some type of show that appealed to YUMS). I miss the good old days of family friendly feel good shows!

I agree, Hallmark has a lot of wonderful movies, and it would be so awesome if Jane would do one of them, or one of the Hallmark Hall of Fame movies that CBS airs.
Maritza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear. Nothing has moved me so passionately about a TV show like DQMW, and nothing ever will and I doubt I will ever lose the passion. It's the only show that truly dealt with the human spirit, strength, compassion, justice, growth, conscious, romance, passion, and drama of dealing with the inhumanity. It's just an incredible well rounded show. It's such a shame quality shows like it are practically none existent and instead we are being fed with a lot of garbage demoralizing the human spirit with so much revenge, back stabbing, violence, poor image of sex, just glorifying negativity.

janenicole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Jane of course, one is my biggest passions is fashion....Karl Lagerfeld...fashion genious!...Donatella Versace, Galliano, Valentino, Balenciaga, Domenico Dolce, Stefano Gabbana, Coco Chanel, Richie Rich and Traver Rains of Heatherette, Betsey Johnson, Donna Karan, Christian Audigier....i could go on and on. These people are true artists.

Another person that has inspired me incredibly is Heather Mills. She's so strong and has overcome so much adversity in her life. Heather has helped countless numbers of people and animals. She has the heart and soul of an angel. Dont believe all the crap you read about her in the tabliods, none of it is true. She's the one person other than Jane that I just HAVE to meet at some point in my life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather Mills, Nicole? Honestly (and please don't feel offended), there's no other person I couldn't care less about. To me, she's nothing but a gold digger. Why else would she have married Paul McCartney? He's the one I feel sorry for, and of course their little daughter.

My YouTube | My Facebook
janenicole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne wrote:
Heather Mills, Nicole? Honestly (and please don't feel offended), there's no other person I couldn't care less about. To me, she's nothing but a gold digger. Why else would she have married Paul McCartney? He's the one I feel sorry for, and of course their little daughter.

How can you say something like that? Are you even aware of all that she's done in her life....gone into war torn countries, putting herself in danger to help thousands of land mine amputees by fitting them with artificial limbs, counseling people, working on several animal rights projects....and that's not even the half of it. She's a fighter and a survivor, and not only that she has a heart big enought to help others. How many people can say they have been nominated for a nobel peace prize? No one, no one has the right to call her a gold digger! Just because Heather isn't an "icon" like Paul doesn't mean that what she wanted was his money. People fall in love, money or no money you cant help who you love. By the way, Paul Persued her and she was hesitant to even go out with him...she offered to sign a pre-nup and Paul said no. People who really know Heather love her and are greatful for all she has done for them. Before anyone says anything bad about her at least find out who she really is rather than basing your opinions on tabliod lies and the fact that Paul is an icon. Read her books, talk to people who she's worked with and helped. If you dont want to find out who she really is, then dont say anything bad about her because you have no right to say horrible things about someone you know nothing about.
I hope that someday i can work on charity projects with Heather. She's a good person, and i only dream of accomplishing as much as she has in her life. Not everything is about money. The greatest rewards are in helping others.
I hope this message didnt sound offensive, but i've had it with people talking crap about Heather.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elaine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful post, Nicole.
I didn't know much about Heather Mills before she was on Dancing with the Stars a couple seasons back, but I heard some pretty negative things about her before the show started. I didn't necessarily believe what I was hearing/reading, but once I saw her on the show, I thought she was very nice. And I really admired her courage for doing a dancing show with an artificial leg! She had a very commendable sense of humor about it--that's for sure! And I thought she did extremely well too--better than I could ever do!
Even though I was a teen when the Beatles became popular, I never cared for them (I was "into" classical music), and I've never considered Paul to be "the end all" that so many girls/ladies my age seemed to think. So to me, Heather and Paul are on level ground when it comes to all the publicity surrounding their divorce (and I don't even read all the junk that's in the tabloids). They were married, now divorced--it's too bad they have to have such public dissension. It should be a private matter, or at the very least, fairly reported.
I have a lot of respect for her, now that I've heard of the many things she's done for others less fortunate than she is. And I wish her happiness and contentment.
Thank you for speaking out for her here.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to put it in perspective you really can't believe everything you read in the tabloids, while some of it is based in truth, more of it is to sell papers. Jane has had a lot of negative things printed about her in tabloids as well, especially after her last divorce. There are those who can't stand Jane Seymour, they read a negative article and just assume it's true. For instance anyone reading the crap about her having breast implants just for the film Wedding Crashers, would get a rather negative impression- but truth - that it was done over 12 years ago doesn't sell, so they keep repeating the same lie until people just assume it's true. Nicole really is right in that noone can really say one way or the other what is true unless you actually personally know the person. I think because Paul McCartney was a music icon of sorts, people prefer to believe his side, but in actuality, none of us knows what is really true- that's between him and Heather. One thing I do try to adhere to is not to put down anyone's favorite because we all choose our favorites based on something in them we aspire to or that we see in ourselves so it can be rather hurtful to have one's 'favorite' torn apart. We certainly don't all have to agree on who we admire though, we often see something in someone noone else does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
janenicole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts Elaine and Maryann. It's nice to see someone show some support and compasion for Heather.
I think if you dont really know much about someone its best to have a neutral opinion about them. I don't really like Paul McCartney, but you'll never see me ripping him apart for any reason, and I wouldn't try to make him look bad because i support Heather. Yes I'm angry about certian things he has done but i cant take away the fact that he has also done some good things to help charities. I think it's of poor class to trash talk someone. If you dont like someone its best to just not speak about them. Why waste your energy saying bad things about someone you hate? Doesn't make sense. Whatever happened between Heather and Paul in their marriage is private and should stay that way. It hurts me to see the disgusting lies the tabliods print about her. It's like everyone forgot about all the good things she has done in her life, and focused on the lies the media spread. So sad. She must feel like she's living in a prison. I wish more people would read her book, it's really inspiring. It's actually my favorite book....couldn't put it dow once i started.

And youre right Elaine, Heather did so well on DWTS....I think she was eliminated a few weeks too soon! I mean she was the only one doing back and front flips.....and that cant be easy with a prosthetic leg that weighs more than a real leg. She was brave to put herself out there knowing what the media was saying about her. A lot of people don't know this but Heather donated all the money she got from DWTS to Viva(an animal rights charity).

I felt bad for Jane too, when she was on DWTS because it seemed that the media took advantage of that to spead rumors....like what Maryann mentioned about her getting implants. I can't believe people actually believe that tabliod garbage!
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all prone to listen to the media if they keep repeating the same story- the point is we don't know if what we read is true or not. We can't label it true or false unless we actually know that person, therefore best to just respect each other's feelings about 'a favorite' as I said. It's fine to say you don't personally care for someone- there are a lot of people - celebs, I don't personally care for but I try not to let the media influence me one way or the other. They just may not appeal to me for whatever reason. I also think we will see people through a perspective that can be colored by who we do like. I.e. if you love Paul McCartney- you will want to believe his side, same with Heather. When Jane and Joe didn't get along on the set, depending on wether you were a 'Joe fan' or a "Jane fan' you viewed their stories differently. She was lying- he was lying. But let's face it most stories are somewhere in the middle and each was telling their 'own' truth as they saw it.

Ok off my soapbox:-)
Maritza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full agreement MaryAnn. You don't truly know who are your favorite celebrities unless you really spend time getting to know them preferably in person. And even that, you don't truly know their private affairs to explain why they did what they did or if the information is even true at all. I'll never understand why people even bother reading tabloids when most of it is untrue. I think it's a shame how people are quick to believe the negativity of people overshadowing the goods they've done.

Elaine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, Mary Ann. I usually glance at those "rags" at the checkout counter, and either laugh or shake my head at the outrageous headlines. I DO NOT believe any of them as truth. They need sensational headlines to sell their trash, so they'll take anything they can, usually "out of context," to create a shocking cover.
I could never justify paying money for any of them. How sad it is that people actually believe them, and what's worse.....they spread the stories around even more, often adding their own "spin" to it.
Anne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole, I'm so sorry that I hurt your feelings with my post, but I cannot take back what I said because I stick to my feelings towards this woman.

I'm glad though that you stood up for her the way you did because I would have done the same had someone talked bad about Jane.

I guess I just need to remind myself to keep my opinion to myself next time as it seems not very popular to have an own opinion and speak my mind.

Again, I'm very sorry and apologize to YOU.

My YouTube | My Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Meet new Friends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: