The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

The Movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: The Movies Reply with quote

Ok...I'm probably going to have eggs thrown at me here (virtually, anyway!) I finally got to watch the movies last night...I really did NOT care for the first one - it was totally unbelieveable to me. First of all, Cloud Dancing in a poncho and sombrero, and firing a rifle? Sully, speaking fluent Spanish? When did that happen? Dr. Quinn and gang taking on the Mexican Army? And to me, the movie was just as dark as the sixth season. Thinking Katie was dead and burying her, Brian getting shot, Dr. Mike, Jake and Horace almost being executed...I need to see a HAPPY Dr. Quinn!! I need to pull out seasons 3 and 4 again... Laughing The Heart Within was at least a little more believable, though I missed the involvement of the town and townspeople. I loved seeing Mrs. Quinn at the Sufferagette Rally, and really liked seeing Brian be successful at the Boston Globe, but we never got to see President Grant make his announcement about the bribery scandal. Ok...I've vented for the morning! I may be the only one speaking blasphemy about a Dr. Quinn!
Elaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Kristin, you're not alone! Both movies were disappointing, IMO. I could make a list of my complaints about each one too. And I'll continue to argue against another movie besides! At this point in time, there's NO WAY they could "recapture the atmosphere" of the original series, so I think it's better to leave well-enough alone!
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Before I saw the movies, I would like to have seen a reunion, but I think they digressed too far in the end - we'll never get that back. I should have just stayed with the 5th season!
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the movies didn't capture the true spirit of DQ, and the first one was really unbelievable.

(made by Kaitlyn, a friend on a DWTS board)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=371907511
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like they took the worst things that could have happened (or did happen) in the series and lumped them together into a movie.
Elaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I disliked "the end of the series," as they scripted it, but there were too many special episodes/moments in season 6 to not have. I wouldn't give it up. I just watch "To Have and To Hold" as my last episode. It ends with romance and hope for the future.
Jane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Kristin, Elaine, and Joanna. I do think though, that by itself, independent of Dr. Quinn, "Revolutions" is a very good movie. It certainly holds one's interest. But we Dr. Quinn fans already had too much of a history with the characters to see them so... well... out of character. I think Kristin covered Revolutions' faults sufficiently.

The only thing I'd add on is that I didn't buy Michaela's reaction to Sully over Katie's death. She was horribly cruel and hateful of Sully, blaming him for what had happened. Knowing what we know of their past, their relationship, and the obstacles they'd faced together, I was terribly upset to see how Michaela treated Sully. If they'd based it more on the real "Dr. Quinn" we fans loved, they'd have realized the following -

1. Sully already lost a child with Abigail. If anyone is sensitive and emotional over the loss of yet another child, it would be Sully. SURELY the Dr. Quinn we loved so much would realize this and not be so... heartless.

2. When Michaela suffered a miscarriage, Sully didn't take his hurt and anger out on her. He was concerned for her health and emotional recovery. Surely Michaela would've thought of this before going off on him in "Revolutions."

3. Sully and Michaela had endured so many deaths, separately and together... over the span of six years, they lost Charlotte, Maude, Olive, Ingrid, the Cheyenne, Becky, Marjorie, and probably others that are escaping my mind at the moment. I realize it's different when its your own child that you've lost, but still... You'd expect that the Sully and Michaela we'd come to know and love would mourn together... lean on each other for support and to get through the pain. But no, didn't happen. This "new Michaela" thought apologizing the second they realized the dead child wasn't Katie made everything okay. I just didn't agree with it.

I don't know... just an opinion. : )
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane, I completely agree. Plus, with Michaela being a doctor, she's dealt with other families going through losses and she's lost patients. I remember in The Operation when she blamed Sully there too, so you'd think that she would have drawn on that experience as well. I will admit, having never lost a child myself, I don't know how I would react in a similar situation. But, that reaction didn't seem to have any bearing on the rest of the movie...I had almost forgotten about it until the end when she apologized to him. I think it was a little unnecessary. They may have been able to show her grieving in another way. Especially after she herself has been blamed for the death of a child before (in Malpractice.)

Elaine, I do agree Season 6 has some worthwhile moments...I have to say I thought it was hilarious how the elderly ladies took a hatchet to the Gold Nugget - not because I condone that kind of behavior...it was just really comical to watch. Many important things happened during that season - it as a whole was just on the over-serious and slightly depressing side to me so I didn't enjoy watching that much. I'm watching it again...I might find I liked it more than I thought I did.
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have to disagree, in part. Although I've not lost a child--other than a very early miscarriage--I have lost a grandchild. You walk around on "auto pilot," and lash out at whoever is there. I'm pretty sure that Michaela wasn't "drawing on her past experiences" at that time. She only knew that "her child was dead." Nothing else in "her world" mattered right then.
Even as close as we were to the loss, I wouldn't presume to say what someone else would or should do. Every person is unique, and their way of dealing with deep loss is their's, and their's alone.
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. Even though I didn't like seeing that in the movie, I can't honestly say I wouldn't do the same thing. I'm so sorry about your grandchild. I know I wouldn't know what I would do if anything were to happen to my daughter and she's almost the same age as Katie was in the movie. Maybe that's the real reason I didn't like that they made us think they had lost her...too close to home for my comfort!
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought the premise of the movie was reasonable....for that time period.
And if I had to choose, I'd take Revolutions over The Heart Within any day of the week!
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did enjoy the overall storyline...I guess they had to incorporate struggle and conflict somewhere. I just didn't like all the changes from the series, and thought there was almost too much bad stuff happening. And even though it was unbelievable to me, I did enjoy how Sully sounded speaking Spanish!
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine wrote:
Hmm, I disliked "the end of the series," as they scripted it, but there were too many special episodes/moments in season 6 to not have. I wouldn't give it up. I just watch "To Have and To Hold" as my last episode. It ends with romance and hope for the future.

I didn't dislike the episode they used for the end of the series, but I totally agree that "To Have and to Hold" would have made a much better finale. As you said, it ends with romance and hope for the future. Plus, I loved that it was totally M&S focused. Don't get me wrong, I love the other characters, but I just felt it was great to see so much of our favorite couple.

Joanna

(made by Kaitlyn, a friend on a DWTS board)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=371907511
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest "problem" with Revolutions?..............

the music wasn't done by William Olvis!
That alone made the entire movie "feel out-of-sync" to me.
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that what the title of the first movie was? I wasn't sure, even though we were obviosly talking about the same movie. I hadn't noticed about the score - but now that you mention it, it did seem different. Definitely a good observation by a music teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: