The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

The Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kristin, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman: the Movie (as it's called on the DVD cover) is also known as Revolutions.
From the first notes of the score, as the train approached CS, I knew it wasn't Wm. Olvis that we were hearing.
They did use his music for The Heart Within, but whoever did it messed it all up! They used beloved "themes" for different people, and just generally spoiled the movie in one way.
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame.
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's one reason that I, personally, was disappointed in both movies.
I'm thinking that, this time through my DVDs, I may just save "To Have and To Hold" for AFTER the two movies....just before I start again at "The Pilot." Since it's only Michaela and Sully in that episode, it wouldn't really matter about the rest of the cast, would it?
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine wrote:
Yes, that's one reason that I, personally, was disappointed in both movies.
I'm thinking that, this time through my DVDs, I may just save "To Have and To Hold" for AFTER the two movies....just before I start again at "The Pilot." Since it's only Michaela and Sully in that episode, it wouldn't really matter about the rest of the cast, would it?

That's a good idea.

I also was disappointed they didn't use William Olvis' music in the first movie, and how in the second movie it wasn't used in the right spots. Too bad they didn't use fan consultants (aka this board) when writing the scripts for the movies! Wink

Joanna

(made by Kaitlyn, a friend on a DWTS board)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=371907511
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to Michaela's reaction to Sully after the death of Katie...
I could totally understand lashing out during a time of grief, "auto pilot" as Elaine called it... But I also have to take into account when the big "blow up" happened... Katie had supposedly been dead a month when Michaela finally told Sully she blamed him. I'm not saying that you're fine after a month with any loss, especially a child, but she'd had more time to grieve by then. It wasn't as much of a shock as it would've been, say, the week after it happened.
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, but I've know people to be "dazed over" for literally months after an unexpected death of a very close family member. There's really no "rule."
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it have been delayed shock at finally registering that her chlld wasn't coming back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it could be, Mary Ann. There are "5 stages" of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. She could have been in the anger stage when she lashed out at Sully, or even depression.
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting - when I first wrote my post in this thread, I was convinced what bothered me was Michaela's way of dealing with her grief... ie lashing out at Sully.

But as I think more about it, and read all of your insightful posts, I'd like to renig my original thoughts and rephrase.

I think what actually bothered me was that she kept how she felt to herself for so long. I know it's totally a different ballpark when you're dealing with grief, but still... My best example is dealing with different personalities. Me personally, I'm not a confrontational person. I do everything possible to avoid it. Still, there are those who like or at least don't mind confrontation. I may think so-and-so is a you know what for being disrespectful or mean to me or anyone else. I may avoid this person at all costs and not even like them as a result, but at the end of the day, I will say this - I respect those people who say what they mean and mean what they say (Like Hank - LOL). At least with people like this you know exactly where you stand with them. There's no fear that they may act one way to your face, and then do unkind things as soon as you walk away.

My point, and I do have one I swear, is that I'd prefer Michaela to have told Sully all she was feeling... don't hold back Dr. Quinn. Tell him you're angry, you're sad, even that you blame him! But do it as you feel it. To wait a month knowing all these feelings exist inside you, suddenly "blowing up" on Sully felt like an ambush. He lost a daughter too after all. And with Sully, it's even a little worse... because when Katie had supposedly died, he didn't just lose her... he lost Michaela too because a part of her had died as well.
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Jane, but if she was in the "denial" stage, she wouldn't have shared her feelings with anyone, because she wasn't accepting herself that Katie was dead.
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sigh*

For a former English major who loves to analyze things to the point where it could be considered annoying, even obsessive, I must say... I'm beat. LOL.

This is one I just can't seem to nail down. I've tried, tried, and tried... But at the end of the night, you know what? I give up. Perhaps it's a good thing because it means that despite everyone's observations that Revolutions wasn't as great as it could've been, two things can definitely be said about it. It makes you think, WAY TOO MUCH, and secondly, it certainly is more involved and in depth than I for one originally thought. : )

Elaine, Mary Ann, Kristin... I bow to you guys on this one. Good work! : )
kristin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a hard time putting it into words as well. I'm just thinking...is it possible we all just feel a little let down because the super Dr Quinn is finally seen having a moment of being human?She's normally so strong, and deals with her emotions - especially when she loses a patient. Even in todays society, doctors aren't really allowed to be human, and I'll be the first to admit that I forget that a lot. After Washita, it took her a really long time for her to talk about it, and she had that episode in the barn when she just had to let it all out. Having said that, I think more of what I disliked was that for only one movie, I didn't like that they even went there at all - I would have preferred to see more of their trip. I don't think Katie's supposed death really did anything for the story, and for a scene that has so much impact, they never really went back to those feelings again. If you're going to put something so strong in the show, don't just give it one scene. Just that struggle alone could have been its own episode, though it was kind of already done in Washita. In other words, if you're going to go there and make such a big statement, use it - go with it - don't just forget about it. I just personally would have preferred to have them know all along that Katie was alive, and show their adventure of finding her. It was almost too much trauma for mr for a stand-alone movie. Did any of my rambling make sense?? I'm having some shoulder trouble again and have realized I really shouldn't take muscle relaxers during the day!! Laughing
Elaine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess maybe they felt that some of Michaela's vulnerability and "humanness" needed to be seen. There were glimpses of it throughout the series, and this was a major one--in what was thought at the time to be "the end" of DQ, I suppose.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin, in a way you've caught what was missing for me in the movie- feelings! Dr. Quinn was all about feelings and relationships-. If Revolutions had been a two parter in OUR Dr Quinn I think this is what you would have seen.

First- After -if we allowed them to go there- Sully reminded Mike how HE knew what it was to lose a child, he'd been through that before- OUR MIKE would have gone to him immediately. He would have been found either starin out a window or chopping wood (LOL what Sully always did when upset) Mike would have gone to him, put her arms around him from behind and told him how sorry she was THEN, how she can't believe she could have said that to him.- NOT waited til they knew Katie was alive as someone else said.

Second, Sully wouldn't have been so 'cruel' to Horace
Third- we would have seen a lot more of the townsfolk reaction to the tragedy and Mike would have been besieged by visitors- Dorothy, Grace even Hank trying to comfort her. Robert E and Sully would have talked and Robert E might have talked about how he felt when Anthony died. Çertainly CD and Sully would have talked and CD would have had some wisdom for his friend- maybe even have suggested Mike and Sully go on a vision quest together- albeit before finding out she was still alive.

Did any of this happen? No we got a grave scene.
We got glimpses of the townspeople like Jake looking for some reason in this like he was one of the bodies he embalms- white faced, dead pan as if he were walking through this movie- even the voices were sort of 'dead' in this- 'Jake to Mike: what do you want me to do?
Sully to the men 'bury em

Once on the 'trail' Sully and Mike would be seen holding each other in a sleeping bag and Sully would suddenly be aware that Michaela was shaking, crying and he would comfort her. She would tell him how she was remembering the night Katie was born- how frightened their little girl must be now- were they being cruel to her, whoever had her, would they ever see her again? Sully would tell he that somehow Katie would know in her heart they would find her, that her spirit was in them.

Robert E and Sully would talk - or Sully would quietly talk to the men about his plans for rescuing Katie, maybe actually listen to some of their ideas instead of coming on like General Patton all of a sudden! CD would NOT carry a rifle and dress the way he did btw in MY version.

If there HAD been a raid, Mike would have gone to the men to be sure they were dead- not ignored the entire situation

And sorry folks in MY version Mike and Sully together would have found Katie and rescued her. I would have completely cut out the silly storyline of Mike in jail- likewise that awful scene of the men with just their heads showing like some parody of a Frankenstein movie- Nope, they could have helped in the rescue but we would have seen our loving couple work together to save their child.

More townie involvement- more emotion more of the real series we so loved. Keep the premise of Katie being kidnapped but let US write the script!

ok off my soapbox!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kristin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could very well be. I guess I would have liked to see them explore that more if they were going to make such a point about it. I was waiting for it to surface again and it never really did. We don't really see her working through it - she just gives a quick apology to Sully at the end of the movie. Oh well...this just goes back to...if only there had been another season!! More time to explore issues like that. If only, if only...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: