The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

And what about Dutch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romy wrote:
...The funny thing is I often understand what their problem is but I cannot answer them

Same with me, Romy. I understand english very good. I watch english movies, news, read english books. But I guess when I should talk to someone face to face - I wouldn't dare to talk, because I think I'd make a lot of mistakes.
monique

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you know I had the same with French. I do understand it but face to face is a lot different but when I was in Paris a few years ago I just tried and I did make a lot of mistakes but the french people were so nice and they said no matter what you tried and that is good. Keep practising so that is what I do. Now I want to learn Spanish and Italian LOL
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Evy I am exactly the same in German! I am trying to find some German Danielle Steel books to read now because I've read so many already in English I think if I don't understand the German sometimes, I can always pull out my English version LOL! I do find though that the more you read and listen the more you increase your vocabulary- at least it worked in college. But speaking is something very different- I'm very shy about it also as I know I"ll make mistakes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bahirbalu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Ann, if you want, I could bring you some german DS books to NY. I have some which I have already read.
romy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it is good when people still do make mistakes because that's the best way to learn and make it right the next time. Wink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therese I would love that- I could send them back after I read them.
Thanks for offering! I found a few online but the newer ones are a bit too expensive right now for me - maybe later
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bahirbalu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't have to send them back, because I have read them. I read DS in english as well, for training, as you do! Same problem as all have with "how to speak"! Reading is much easier than speaking!
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great. I have to tell you, when I first entered college, I thought because my mom was German it would be easy to major in German. BUT she was more into speaking English and perfecting her English so she never really taught me much German and she found she had cancer around that time, so the 'help' I thought I would get with my German studies never materialized. We were given some dumb detective stories to read in German that I wasn't the least interested in, and that combined with trying to get used to the verb being at the end of most sentences--- UGH, I'd forget what the sentence was about when I finally got to the verb!

Anyway, I was about borderline D and planning to my Professor's dismay to MAJOR in German! My "Oma' (grandmother) sent me that first summer a box of German romances- I guess it would be like our Harlequinn romances' They were paperback, easy to read and more important FUN to read. I went through the entire box in the summer and when I got back to college in the fall I went quickly to borderline A! My teacher was amazed but it all had to do with finding something I wanted to read and then reading so much I started to get used to the sentence structure and vocabulary without realizing I was really learning.

I"m continually amazed how many here for whom English is a second language say they learned watching American movies- for me I'd have to know quite a bit of a language first to do that. I'm able to watch some movies in German I'm already familiar with in English but generally if they speak fast I'd probably only catch a word here and there. I find myself watching the same films over and over- Yesterday's Children for instance to get used to understanding the spoken word better.

At least reading romances and watching Jane movies, is a FUN way to learn- beats grammar texts Laughing
Cécile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Ann wrote
Quote:
At least reading romances and watching Jane movies, is a FUN way to learn- beats grammar texts

OH YES Very Happy it helps a lot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there another author that you like Mary Ann? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaela1 wrote:
... I thought because my mom was German it would be easy to major in German

Mary-Ann, may I ask where your Mother and Grandmother came from in Germany?
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little town called Osnabrück Evy
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romy, I tend to read the lighter romantic fiction mostly. I also read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon- can't imagine THAT in German though as the dialect is enough in English! I haven't had much chance really to read lately. I just finished a Touched by and Angel book I was given for Christmas and am about to start on Robin (from GMA) autobiography then Reba's

Harry Potter, I actually downloaded the PDF versions in German from the internet LOL

I really should get back to reading at least in English!

Laughing
bahirbalu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Ann, I had any english at school. I had some lessons with a private teacher. But the most of it I learned by reading ... DQ fanfiction! And I have DQ and some Jane videos or DVD's in english. Unfortunately not much time to see them lately.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did used to read some German fan fiction actually! There was a girl named Petra who was excellent as I recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Meet new Friends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: