The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Sound of Music Live

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Sound of Music Live Reply with quote

Did anyone watch this last night? Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dqmwartist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched all of it last night after coming home from work. Going into it I knew it wasn't going to be like the movie, and that was alright with me. I'm a fan of Carrie Underwood and I knew some of the other actors one who was on Smash, another from Go On, and one who is actually the classamate of a cousin of mine.

Growing up I loved the music to SOM and one other musical that I listened to a LOT. So much so that I broke a cassette tape. I also was in the musical in high school, which I really enjoyed. No major role for me (can't sing).

The Reverend Mother was excellent, her voice was clear/strong. If there are any nominations for it, then I hope she gets one! Little Gretal was adorable and I did enjoy Carrie's Maria. They all did a wonderful job and for three hours I was swept away in pleasant memories and some new ones too. Smile
Ana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have tv... but a bunch of girls I go to school with were raving on Twitter about how horrible it was, while a bunch of people from my hometown were raving on Facebook about how awesome it was. Which is it? I've never seen the original either. I know, slack lol.
dqmwartist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ana, watch both verisons and see which one you prefer. They have their similarities and differences. I liked both and I'm curious to see which you like.

It is hard to please everyone and I felt bad for Carrie. She got a slew of hate for taking on the role.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Juie Andrews version is airing on ABC December 22 I just read so yu will be able to compare. The NBC version is currently available on On DEMAND if you have comcast

I tried to watch the one with Carrie with an open mind. I was not looking for it to be as good ad the film version but what I didn't realize was as a friend recently pointed out to me how important it is to that movie/production that they are actors NOT just singers. Carrie had a lot of guts to take this on but in all honesty I think whoever cast it was looking for a name only as if any singer with a name could just step into the role. Carrie really can not act. That makes a huge difference in the role of Maria as it eliminates for one thing all the comedy in the film. Carrie delivered Maria's comedic lines totally deadpan. THe other problem for me is I think Maria needs to be full of life and depth and Carrie for me just didn't have those qualities. One of my favorite parts of the original is the chemistry between the main leads. also missing in this version but this is just my opinion. Some really enjoyed it. I would say though if I had kids that had not seen the original version I would not introduce them through this new production at least not until they had seen the original. I would feel sorry for Carrie but I'm sure she was payed well and is used to criticism- she had to know stepping into this it was a minefield!

One thing, I do agree the actress who played the reverend mother was excellent!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have tv at all, which is why I didn't watch it when the new one aired the other night... so I will miss the old one being aired later this month too. :/
Oh well, maybe one day I'll get to them! Smile
hopious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished watching this last night, I had recorded it when it was on because I knew I'd be at work for the bulk of it.
Now I went into it with an open mind, knowing that it was done on stage so everything wouldn't be perfect, which was OK with me. But I didn't like the woman they got to play Mother Superior (yes I know she's a big Broadway star, but I just didn't like her). Also wasn't fond of the guy they got to play the Captain, I mean he was ok, but he just needed to be slightly older, ya know like in the movie version. Wink All in all it was a pretty good rendition, don't know if I'd watch it again though. Wink

Signature set made by Anne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested ABC is airing the original Sound of Music with Julie Andrews tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Meet new Friends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: