The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Just popping in
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Just popping in Reply with quote

Sorry I've not been here a while, like everyone else I've been connecting more on facebook these days but I've not forgotten about our own forum. Just curious how many here may be Outlander Fans? I was introduced to Diana Gabaldon's wonderful time travel series through the Dr Quinn list years ago thus the DQ connection. Been waiting for forever for them to make it into a tv series- Any of you watching?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
genevieve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't know!!!
geneviève

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching, Mary Ann! It's kind of a combination of Quantum Leap, Dr. Quinn, and Somewhere in Time. Laughing I have to use subtitles though. Trying to figure out what they're talking about with those Scottish accents ain't easy! But it's a beautiful and interesting show to look at. And I got my husband to watch with me, which is really cool.

And btw, if you go to IMDb and do a search for Dr. Quinn (or just click here) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103405/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm, you'll see under Related News a hilarious article about Outlander that recaps the last episode (though I wouldn't read it if you want to take this whole thing really seriously). ::snicker:: It has this sentence in it: Before we can go to Santa Valhalla though, Claire has to become the best damn medicine women since Dr. Quinn...or is Dr. Quinn the best damn medicine woman since Claire Beecham? Damn you time travel!

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/monkeys-as-critics/recap-outlander-the-way-out#VHP18MlV0ybEbOTw.99

Warmly, Wendy
Judy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't but may have to, sounds interesting.
Thanks Wendy for the link
WendyS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy,

You can watch the series on demand on Starz. I wouldn't read any of those recaps until you have. I've only read the third one. It was funny, but I don't think it would make much sense unless you'd already seen the show, and then it makes fun of it, not something I think all fans of the books might appreciate, but then what do I know? Smile

Warmly, Wendy
annette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching and was struck by the lead actress' ressemblance to Jane and the medicine woman theme. Enjoying it but also need subtitles for the Scottish accent!
WendyS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Annette,

Hmmm, I hadn't thought she looked like Jane, but maybe just a little. The way she's like Dr. Quinn is having medical knowledge the people don't have. The Scottish accent thing combined with a liberal amount of Gaelic thrown in for good measure makes this show almost impossible to watch without subtitles. I don't know how the Scotts understood each other!
Wink

Warmly, Wendy
Winnie

Location: Denmark (The Land of The Little Mermaid and other fairytales)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen but was thinking about it.
WendyS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning, Winnie, it's a tad on the violent side. In fact, as someone who is half Scottish, and my husband has Scottish ancestry, too, I was commenting to him after one of the episodes that "Our ancestors were barbarians!" Kind of disconcerting, really. On the other hand, it's nice to know that in many ways humanity has advanced since then. We still have a few pockets of disgusting behavior, but in general, the world has settled down in the last couple of hundred years. Hopefully, we'll continue the trend. Smile

Warmly, Wendy
Anne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Ann, you know I am, LOL. Which is one reason why I haven't been here for so long. My bad, but I can't help it. I really love this series and can't wait (although I have to) to see the second half of season 1. Very Happy

My YouTube | My Facebook
WendyS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne,

It is kind of a pain that we know they have those shows in the can, but they're not going to start running them until April? What???? And though we know Jamie will undoubtedly rescue Claire--she is the star after all--it's still kind of aggravating. That's a heluva long time to wait for this series to continue. It'll be interesting if people still have an interest in it after all that time or if the audience goes into terminal annoyance over this hideously long wait.
Rolling Eyes

Warmly, Wendy
Anne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to give them a break, they only finished shooting season 1 about 4 weeks ago or less, there's still some postwork to do, like additional dialogue recording (Sam tweeted something like that a couple days ago). But the writers are already busy with the scripts for season 2 and filming starts in January if I'm not mistaken. Meanwhile the actors hopefully enjoy their well-deserved breaks.

To be honest, I both anticipate and dread when Wentworth comes on, and I'm eager to see HOW Ron will be handling that. Thankfully both his wife Terry (the costume designer) and fellow producer Maril Davis are huge fans of the books which helps a lot. Smile

My YouTube | My Facebook
WendyS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne,

I haven't read the books, so I don't know who Wentworth is. If he's as hideous a character as Jack, I don't know if I can handle much more evil like that on my TV. I'm kind of torn about reading the books since it may give me problems with the show. But I haven't heard too many complaints from readers other than about trivial matters (the pearls, for example), so it may not hurt. What do you think? Should I or shouldn't I? Smile

Warmly, Wendy
Anne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let just tell you one (as to not to spoil anything for you). Wentworth is not a person, it's a very unpleasant place to say the least. The rest would give too much away. You'll just have to wait until season 1 continues. Smile

Or buy the book which is an extremely good read. Smile

My YouTube | My Facebook
Cécile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love this serie of books.
I have red them all.
TV show not available here for the moment, but can't wait !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Meet new Friends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: