The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Wedding Crashers Clips
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is they will hear it on the streets, in school yards, you can't protect them. But setting a good example can go a long way and often when parents don't use that language, the kids are less apt to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true, Mary Ann, however I believe it's a parent's responsibility to teach a child proper language. They will hear crude words outside the home, yes, but they certainly don't have to learn it from movies in their own home! I can watch WC on my own if I choose, but I wouldn't ever let my young grandchildren watch it. They'll never hear me laugh at that language, in a movie or at the mall. I've taught myself to ignore it, so I can enjoy WC for it's humor. Children don't have that skill yet.

~~E~~
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, we didn't use that kind of language when I was growing up at home and I didnt use it raising my godson either. There are situations in films where it is more appropriate i.e. a job situation like a police department etc. where to be believable one has to reflect the kind of language you would hear most likely but it's never necessary to use THAT much of it. On the other hand, I was glad Jane herself didn't use the language in the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elaine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was very grateful for that! Very Happy In fact, I do anticipate buying the DVD at some point--that way I can skip over the parts that I dislike the most, and still enjoy Jane's part as much as I like. Wink

~~E~~
DQ4ME

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Mary Ann your right, we may have to hear that language out in town, at work etc. but we don't have to bring it into our homes. My son has never ever heard me cuss, I just don't do it. I may use the slang word crap sometimes and really don't like to use that. We don't have to bring that mess into our homes. The world is a hard cold place and our homes should be a santancury for our kids to come into, where they don't have to hear that mess. I once heard a person say that cussing is a little mind trying to express itself. They don't have any real vocabualary. Don't really know if that is true or not but makes sense to me. And these movies can use a dozen different other non cuss words to get a point over and still be rolling on the floor funny. And somtimes even funnier. I love Owen Wilson, but sure do hate his movies because he really does use a lot of bad language. Maybe the writers have a small brain and can't express their selves very well because they don't have much of a vocabulary.
Elaine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my thinking too, Carol. But you have to be careful "where" you express that idea, I've found. I said something to that effect online once, and was soundly chastized! Shocked (most likely from someone who uses that language)

But I agree with you 100%. It's not necessary to use that language, it's just the easy, lazy way for small-minded people. Rolling Eyes Parents talk like that all the time, and then they wonder "where little Johnny learned it." Doh!

~~E~~
Paige

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine and Carol, I agree with you both whole-heartedly. It saddens me what the world is coming to and the words and expressions that my daughter comes home hearing. We have never used that language in our household and never will. Anything can be expressed without using foul language. I think it shows a real lack of maturity.
DQ4ME

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine your right, it people do chastize anyone for not liking bad language usually they are the guilty ones anyway. And Paige I also agree with you. It is not neccesary to use foul language to get a point across. I remember as a child getting my mouth washed out with soap for saying "poop". That was considered a bad word when I was little. But I appericate my parents and grandparents for saying that. I remember as a teen I thought that I was "COOL" by cussing, and my mom would look at me in this little hurt way and say Carol you don't have to say that. I would feel like a dog, but as I got older I realized my mom just cared about the way I was coming across to people. She wanted me to be a classy lady not a trashy one. And people think better of you when you don't have a string of cuss words coming out of your mouth. Your not cool, even though I sure thought I was. Now I just crinch when I think of some of the stuff I used to say. I was really stupid and immature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Favorite movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: