The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Point Blank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristin wrote:
After watching the commentary last night (which was wonderful, by the way) it sounded like James Keach's intent was to really focus on the actual PTSD itself. I would guess maybe that's why they sort of steered away from the other character's emotions and focused on the nightmares, the sounds (knocking on a door), the clock... almost like the PTSD became the main character, but I could be totally wrong. It's definitely been known to happen!

Good point, Kristin. The entire episode was so well done. I just loved the commentary.

(made by Kaitlyn, a friend on a DWTS board)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=371907511
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Keach and Jane Seymore interacted with each other so well during the commentary as well - really had a couple cute moments!
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristin wrote:
James Keach and Jane Seymore interacted with each other so well during the commentary as well - really had a couple cute moments!

I agree. It was awesome.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=371907511
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my fav episodes as well. However, the only time I saw Sully as emotionless was when Matthew rode out to where he was surveying and told him Michaela had been shot. Without expression, Sully just jumped on his horse and they took off. There was no panicking, no sense of urgency, no "OMG, she could die."

I might add, if I may, that we don't see Sully when he arrives at the Spring Chateau. By the time Matthew returns with him, Andrew has already stabilized Michaela and has probably told Sully that Michaela is expected to live. I daresay that had Sully been around as Michaela was being transported to Andrew's, and while waiting for Andrew to report on her condition, he probably would've been shown freaking out more than what we saw. Perhaps that's why we don't see as much urgency from him... he'd already had time to cope and find out the prognosis from Andrew- just a guess. I'm probably totally wrong, though one thing would sort of suggest that a period of time has passed since Michaela was shot and then treated by Andrew is that Colleen has already returned from Denver, which had to have taken hours, assuming she could even get a train that same day. For all we know, it's the next day. Again, just a guess.

As for Michaela's recovery, I didn't think it was too fast... After all, the tree crashing through the window had proven to her that even "home" isn't 100 percent safe, so living in fear wont change what fate has in store. What I did find interesting that it took as long as it did getting to that point where she could go back to work - Think back to season 2, when Dorothy's son Tom returns home... Colleen was held at gunpoint and watched her mother shoot Tom. She's afraid to leave the homestead. It's Michaela who tells her that staying afraid will cause her to miss out on all of the great things in life, "like Lewis' frog." LOL.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Jane you make a good point, it's true they do allude to a passing of time and we could interpret that to mean Sully broke down a bit OFF CAMERA LOL- A bit of subtle emotion though could have been effective, show him swallowing hard or SOMETHING Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Mary Ann! I totally agree it would've been more effective to see Sully scared or concerned, something. The point was made that this episode should've been a two-parter. And I TOTALLY agree with that. I think the lack of Sully's emotion is partly due to the fact that the whole episode, while excellent, felt rushed. .. Like they were trying to squeeze it all into under an hour. Just making a two-parter would've helped so much in showing how other's around Michaela were affected.

One more minor thing - Sully says to Brian something to the affect that Dr. Mike is always strong, but this time she's reduced to fear and weakness. It's bad enough her family recognizes this, and Sully comments how "your ma knows that too..." that Michaela is never like this. So perhaps, for the sake of Michaela's "strength", Sully didn't want to make too big a deal of her being shot... it would've made her feel even less strong, which we know is of utmost importance to Michaela. Perhaps playing it a little more on the "cool side" in Sully's mind would make it easier for Michaela to accept what had happened and move on.

Don't get me wrong - I wanted to see Joe Lando at his best, crying, speaking with his eyes like he does so well... especially for this episode. But since it didn't happen as well as we'd have liked, I'm trying to make excuses for it. LOL. : )
Elaine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane wrote:
I might add, if I may, that we don't see Sully when he arrives at the Spring Chateau. ..... he'd already had time to cope and find out the prognosis from Andrew- just a guess. I'm probably totally wrong, though one thing would sort of suggest that a period of time has passed since Michaela was shot and then treated by Andrew is that Colleen has already returned from Denver, which had to have taken hours, assuming she could even get a train that same day. For all we know, it's the next day. Again, just a guess.

Jane, I think your "guesses" are spot-on. I've always felt that way about this episode. Passing time isn't always easy to decipher in some episodes, and I feel this is one.

Jane wrote:
Think back to season 2..... Colleen was held at gunpoint and watched her mother shoot Tom. She's afraid to leave the homestead. It's Michaela who tells her that staying afraid will cause her to miss out on all of the great things in life....

True, but "wisdom" isn't always as easy to see when YOU are the one in fear. Even Sully's reassurance didn't "click" in Michaela's mind in this situation. Only another "sudden trauma" could do that.
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Elaine. : ) You're absolutely right - Colleen just witnessed someone being shot, whereas Michaela was the actual gunshot victim. It's kind of like that expression, "Easier said than done."
HorseyJaneFan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wish they had Sully show some kind of emotion, that would have been more effective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: