The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Last Dance
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Last Dance Reply with quote

In "Last Dance," Colleen returns home to find Becky moving in on Andrew. It is actually all very innocent. There is a scene showing Andrew coming to Grace's Cafe with flowers obviously planning on asking one of the girls to the Sweethearts Dance, (most likely Colleen). When he sees them together laughing he decides not to come in-between their friendship. Later at the dance we see him dancing with a older woman while Becky and Colleen dance together amused at Andrew's misfortune.

I would have liked to see Andrew and Colleen dance together or for there to have been a scene in which Andrew lets Colleen know that he had planned to ask her to the dance. More interesting would have been for Colleen and Andrew to have a private dance much like the waltz shared between Dorothy and Cloud Dancing. Any thoughts?
Anne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting thoughts, Michael. Wink

However, I like the episode just the way it is. I think everything about Colleen and Andrew and Becky in this episode just fits. Smile

My YouTube | My Facebook
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think they should have made it a bit harder for Andrew to choose between them. The way the storyline is set up, Andrew says he wants a woman who will be home for him- Becky would seem to be the perfect choice, It might have been fun to see him sort of test the waters with each of them before deciding on Colleen- in this instance maybe dance with both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Bray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been interesting Mary Ann. However, I wonder if Colleen and Becky'd friendship would have been hurt by this? I don't really think that there was ever anything really romantic between he and Becky, they were just friends. However, a little competition would have been interesting to watch.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the point, it would have been interesting to explore what effect it would have had on their relationship, but by sending Colleen away to college we lost all that potential story arc. To be honest though, I always felt that Andrew seemed too mature for Colleen. He related to Mike and Sully more as a peer which made me think of him almost like an uncle to Colleen until the made it clear he was romantically interested in her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Irene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

I believe that Andrew was never interested in Becky really...I think he liked Colleen right from the start Smile but I'll agree with Mary Ann about what he said that made Colleen think that he would rather have a wife at home (like Becky)...I think the writers didn't want to put the girls friendship in danger Wink
Mushcs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreed. I would love to see more of the triangle between the three of them. It seem like they touched on the subject and then just concluded it.
DQ4ME

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would have liked to see more of compation between Colleen and Becky. They had a bigger compation between the both of them in "What is Love" when they were both wanting to play Juliet. Just a little more compation for Andrew would have been more interesting.
Mushcs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Carol. We saw more of the rivalry in What is Love than the triangle.
Mr. Bray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Becky was interested in Andrew as early as the Having it All episode. When Colleen is teaching Andrew how to ride a horse, he asks someone to ride with him and Becky practically leaps onto the horse. It would have been interesting to see how the rivalry would have affected their relationship and would they have made a truce before Becky's tragic death?
kristin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a couple years old, but oh well! Here are my two cents: I agree that Becky was interested as early as Having it All, and I think Colleen noticed it in the same episode. Seeing the awkwardness with Becky when she showed up to meet Andrew for breakfast and Colleen was there, I'd venture to guess it wasn't the first time she'd met him for a meal, and the way she looked to Andrew for help when Colleen invited Becky to the breakfast she had already been invited to. I'm not sure who he was actually planning to ask to the dance...I was leaning more toward Becky, but it did show a lot of class for him to recognize the girls' friendship and not ask either one. Wow...I really have been talking a lot in the last couple days...that's ok I guess...I have some catching up to do! I'm trying to remember...in Best Friends, did Becky and Colleen vow to never let a "boy" come between them again? I honestly don't remember if they did that at the end when he ended up with Alice at the dance.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in one of the original drafts for this ep, there was a scene in which Mike asks Becky to help with the baby. Colleen realizes she is going off to college and sees Becky sort of taking her place with both Mike and Andrew. I think it would have been interesting to see a bit of a struggle for Andrew between Becky- who was really the kind of girl he seemed to want and Colleen.
Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Andrew was chicken to say which gir he wanted so he didn't ask either.
Mary Ann
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn I think the character of Andrew lacked a certain 'guts' something the original Colleen would never have put up with. When for instance Andrew refused to treat Grace (or was it Robert E?) because Preston didn't want him to - can you imagine the original Colleen putting up with that or NOT telling him off?
Jane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin, you're absolutely right. Becky and Colleen did vow in Best Friends not to let a boy come between them. As Colleen says, "I'll never do anything like that again."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: