The DQ Times Forum Index

The DQ Times
We welcome new members however registration is by administrator only. To join please send an email to michaela1 at aol.com introducing yourself and explaining why you would like to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Money Trouble
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting conversation. I agree with what has been said. I can't think of anything else to be added. Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romy wrote:
Very interesting conversation. I agree with what has been said. I can't think of anything else to be added. Laughing Wink

thanks romy i totally agree there to Wink love u
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may get slightly off-topic, but a couple times throughout the series, especially in "Money Troubles" she talks about earning a fair amount at her practice, and once Mr. Bray mentions that a certain shawl is so expensive that even Dr. Mike can't afford it (I believe that was in Things my Father Never Taught Me) but then in the episode where Daniel first comes to CS, the whole premis on the two hour episode was that they don't have money, and that her patients aren't paying her, at least not in cash. Did I miss something somewhere? I'm sure they had to create some reason for Daniel to join the show...maybe that was it. I just find it slightly unbelievable that in what...5 years, she hadn't started keeping track of her payments yet? But yet in the earlier episodes she seemed to have a fair amount of money. Unless perhaps she was drained when they had to replace everything in the clinic, even with Preston's loan, and maybe when she started helping Sully pay for the house, perhaps that's where a lot of her money went too. Plus what she was paying for Colleen's education...ok...I think I just stepped on my point...haha!
Gemma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought exactly the same when I watched that episode. Maybe people started not paying her after the bank arrived to Colorado Springs because they had to pay their mortgages. Everybody seemed short of money then.

About rewriting Money Trouble, I would have liked to see more of Sully The Savage and his tomahawk, not with that innocent Indian, but just performing and showing his abilities.
Jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, a musing, a question if you will -

Do you all think the true issue was the window? I seemed to have the impression that it wasn't as much about the window in and of itself that upset Sully... I thought it was more that Michaela didn't tell him about it, that she essentially had gone behind his back to get it, that upset him more.

I know they went back and forth about Sully's pride issue - that he was the man of the house, so to speak, and should be able to provide for his family. But I still had the feeling Sully may have reacted differently had Michaela just said, "look, I wanted the window, I had the money, I bought it."

It must've been ten times more humiliating for Sully to have Loren tell him, in the middle of the street in front of everyone, that "your window is here," and Sully had no idea what Loren was talking about. That's embaressing and upsetting to be caught off guard like that, looking foolish! Plus you add to that the fact that Sully couldn't pay Loren when it arrived... ouch. That had to hurt his pride too.

Or maybe I'm just blinded by Sully's gorgeousness.... LOL. ; )
Gemma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right, Michaela's lack of sincerity was something to be annoyed about, or maybe it was a mixture with a fear of what he might say when he knew. Also she was trying to change him again, as she would do in For Better or Worse regarding the rings. And I find so cute Sully accusing her of trying to do this with him. Razz He knows she has a strong personality and he could be influenced under her pressure.

But I feel sorry for Sully in this episode for that first scene in the intro (there are so many wonderful scenes in those intros, some are amazing!), when the kids are asking for money to buy the tickets for the Cowboy Show. Sully is stating he doesn't like it and he doesn't want them to go there, but they just ignore him. Michaela gives them the money and then looks at Sully with a strange look, I would say challenging. I didn't like this.

Clickable banner
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a pride thing. An honesty issue too, yes, but I think it really hit Sully's ego that his wife was in more of a position to support the family and to make a nice home than he was at the time. Too bad my ex didn't feel the same way...he had no problems letting me pay all the bills...haha!
romy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the window issue...I just want to add that I think it was not really nice of Loren to do that. He had witnessed the little 'discussion' they had about the window in the mercantile and how Michaela ordered it when Sully had left. He knew that this would or could later be reason for an argument. I didn't think it was ok of Michaela to do this behind his back but I also thought that it was right of her to teach him this lesson. I mean the lesson that he does not have to 'provide for his their family' on his own. He always knew that Michaela was not like all the other women and she actually earned more money. I mean what did he think she should do with her moeny if not using it to buy things for their family?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it happen to you that you are looking at the window everytime it appears on screen and remember this episode? It happens to me. For me that window is like the bed, they are like characters, so important and always present.
And I am worried like in Hostage because it could be damaged while the fight. Or when Brian is trying to mend the lock of the door and he dismantles the door and Colleen brings him some lunch and he eats using the door as a table (!), I couldn't believe that. And Michaela didn't say anything against it.

Clickable banner
kristin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren was a bit of a joker and an instigator at times...I actually think he enjoyed putting Sully in that awkward position.
Jane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Gemma - props from the set did become just as much a part of the cast as the people. For me it's the set of wing chairs by the fire and the "Bless this Home" sign, or something along those lines, by the dining room table. : )
Gemma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is Home Sweet Home. I noticed it too in A New Life. Oh! You are right, those chairs are beautiful! And that blue vase. Also that black and white blanket on their bed. My mum has a pillow with a similar pattern.

Clickable banner
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Gemma, I think you're right - the sign reads "Home Sweet Home." And agreed, the wingcharis are gorgeous. : )
kristin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see those chairs, all I can think of is...white chairs next to an open fire place? I sure don't want to be the one to clean those!!
Jane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL Kristin! You have a point.

MaryAnn, if you read this - can we start a new thread on the forum entitled "Homestead Peeves?"

This is hardly the thread to post this but as long as we're talking about wingchairs and fireplaces etc, you know what always bothered me? All the times Michaela's beautiful blue and white dishes got broken!!!!!!!!! I guess it's because I love china and so it irks me to see it get broken or even chipped.

But truly, think about it... Michaela's dishes were broken at least in the following episodes, and I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of -

1. Happy Birthday - a little different I realize, but the china from her mother did arrive broken.

2. When the army was looking for Sully, Sgt. O Conner came in when only the kids were home and dropped a few plates just to bully.

3. In Hostage, tons of dishes get broken when Sully is fighting Keach's character.

4. Of course there's the time Michaela dropped her plate when Brian brought up how Sully would be sleeping with her now that they're married.

5. The time when Michaela is shot, dishes break when tree falls through the window I think...

How many times did poor Michaela have to buy new dishes? It's a good thing Mr. Bray kept her pattern in stock. LOL! ; )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The DQ Times Forum Index -> Rewrite Please! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: